EXPERIENCE - TREKKING AT THE MONASTERY OF PETRA
Panorama, Packed lunch
For those who love the mountains and have already visited the monumental city of Petra: an unmissable opportunity to explore the very essence of history.
What we will see
- The Siq
- The Treasury
- The Royal Tombs
- The Byzantine Monastery
- Mountains with Glowing colours
- Breathtaking Cliffs
What we will do
- Once we arrive in Petra, accompanied by a local guide, who is an expert on nature trails, we enter the heart of the Siq, to visit the magnificent Treasury, a building hewn out of the rock to serve as a burial chamber and probably a temple, as the distinctive capitals and columns of the magnificent façade would suggest.
- After taking photographs, we head to the Royal Tombs, which hold the most important members of the ancient Nabataean tribe.
- After a short stop to observe the details of these splendid buildings we are ready to face the most challenging and fascinating part of our walking tour. We climb to the highest peak to visit a beautifully carved ancient building of Nabataean origin, which became a Monastery during the Byzantine period. It was initially intended as the burial chamber of the Nabataean King, Obodas I.
- An unexpected wonder unfolds before our eyes. Nestled in the very heart of Nature amongst summits of a thousand different shapes and shades, impressive cliffs, which flow into canyons, and rocky deserts, we cannot help but silently admire the strength and splendor of Nature and the skill of the ancient populations, who decided to establish their homes and places of worship in this very location.
What you need to know
- The coach transfer from Aqaba to Petra takes approximately 2 hours.
- Places on this excursion are limited. So please reserve early.
- The excursion involves walking for about 5 hours, including climbing 800 steps on a rock-cut path, dirt roads and steep sections.
- We recommend always wearing walking shoes and suitable, warm and comfortable clothing.
- This experience is only suitable for adult guests who are accustomed to long distance mountain walking.
- The excursion includes a packed lunch to be eaten on the coach.
- No food or drinks are allowed on the site.