NOSY BE: THE SECRETS OF YLANG YLANG AND THE HOLY FOREST
An excursion to discover Nosy Be, which in Madagascan means large island, to enjoy some of the most fascinating aspects of the local culture and way of life: ylang-ylang distillation, the mysticism of the holy forest and the lively atmosphere of the island's capital, Hell Ville.
What we will see
- Views of the bay
- Ylang-ylang plantation and distillery
- Holy forest of Bemazava
- Hell Ville
- Local spice market
- City centre
What we will do
- Leaving the port by coach, we set off to explore the large island. On the way we'll make a stop at a panoramic viewpoint where we can admire a magnificent view over the bay. Having taken some photos, we'll continue our journey.
- Our first destination is one of the largest ylang-ylang plantations on the island. This tree, originally from the Philippines and introduced to Nosy Be by the French in the late 19th century, has a flower with a delicate aroma, whose distillation produces a series of high-quality essential oils whose uses include the creation of prestigious perfumes.
- After our guided tour of the plantation, we'll enter one of the oldest ylang-ylang distilleries to discover the secrets of this production technique. Before leaving, we'll have time to make some purchases at the plantation shop.
- We then continue to the holy forest of Bemazava, a sacred place to worship the dead and leave offerings.
- We'll then move on to Hell Ville, the largest town on the island, to visit the local market of spices, fish and tropical fruit. Browsing the goods for sale, we can purchase products by local craftsmen, wooden sculptures and lively tablecloths featuring the typical traditional embroidery of Madagascar.
- Those wishing to continue the excursion can head for the town centre, where we'll have some free time to explore at leisure. Alternatively, we can head straight back to the ship.
What you need to know
- Transport and facilities in Madagascar are not necessarily of the standard usually found in developed countries.
- The excursion involves long stretches on foot over potentially slippery terrain; as such, we recommend wearing suitably sporty clothing and comfortable shoes with a non-slip sole.
- We recommend bringing insect repellent.
- Places on this excursion are limited. We recommend booking early.
- The vehicles used in this excursion are small in size and are not equipped with air-conditioning.
- There will be alimited number of English speaking guides and if there are no guides available, the excursion will be led in French .