EXPERIENCE TOUR – ADVENTURE ON THE RIVER AND PANGALANES CANAL
We'll sail down the Pangalanes canal in motorised dugout canoes, witnessing daily life on the river, stopping at a typical village and sipping a cocktail while enjoying a folk performance. Finally, we'll be treated to a panoramic tour of Tamatave and shopping at the Bazary Be.
What we will see
- Pangalanes canal
- Travelling in motorised dugout canoes
- Village of Tapakala and meeting the Morenghy people
- Eden Village: welcome cocktail and tropical fruit snack, folk performance
- Panoramic tour of Tamatave
- Bazary Be
What we will do
- We leave the cruise terminal and head for the river port of Tamatave, where we board one of the traditional motorised dugout canoes.
- We'll sail along the canals, where it's not unusual to come across local vessels carrying materials and products of various kinds such as bamboo, wood, fruit and vegetables, until we arrive at the estuary, where the canals merge with the Indian Ocean.
- On our journey, we can observe the fishing technique of the village inhabitants who live on the river banks.
- Arriving at the village of Tapakala, we can watch one of the national sports, morenghy, a type of local boxing.
- We then head for Eden Village, where we'll be served a welcome cocktail and tropical fruit-based refreshments, accompanied by a folk performance typical of the area.
- We then return to the motorised dugout canoes, then board minivans for a panoramic tour of the city of Tamatave.
- We'll visit the Bazary Be, literally the grand bazaar, the city's main market, where we can admire and purchase all sorts of species and medicinal plants as well as typical local craft items, before returning to the ship.
What you need to know
- Transport and facilities in Madagascar are not necessarily of the standard usually found in developed countries.
- Given the large number of vehicles used, we cannot guarantee that a member of the ship’s crew will be on hand to assist with communication.
- Places on this excursion are limited. We recommend booking early.
- We recommend bringing insect repellent.
- The local vehicles used in this excursion are small in size and are not equipped with air-conditioning.
- This excursion is not recommended for guests with mobility problems.
- The excursion does not feature guides on each bus but some local guides will assist groups providing information during the main stops. English speaking guides are available in limited numbers; if they are not available, the excursions will be conducted in French.