CONTRASTS OF SALVADOR
In a nutshell This excursion enables us to get to know the wonderful Salvador de Bahia, city of contrast and colour, meeting point between different cultures and religions, poor yet cheerful, creative and transcendent.
Good to know
- Avenida Contorno
- Porto da Barra
- Praça da Sé
- Terreiro de Jesus
- Igreja de São Francisco (internal visit)
- Cathedral (internal visit)
- Largo do Pelourinho
- Praça Municipal
- Palácio da Assembléia
- Prefeitura Municipal
- Elevador Lacerda
- Shopping at Mercado Modelo
- We leave the port behind us and head towards the city crossing Avenida Contorno as far as the Barra neighbourhood, where we take a break.
- We cross the Barra harbour, the Vitória district until we reach Campo Grande square, where we can admire the statue commemorating 2nd July. We then visit the nearby Castro Alves theatre and walk along Avenida Sete de Setembro to the beautiful Praça da Sé with its monument to Zumbi, leader of a slave revolt.
- Passing by the lively Terreiro de Jesus square, we continue on foot through the historic city centre, boasting a myriad of beautiful monuments and churches. We visit Igreja de São Francisco, the Ordem Terceira de São Francisco church, the Cathedral and Largo do Pelourinho, a lively historic neighbourhood with many bars and monuments and a Unesco World Heritage Site.
- We head back to Praça Municipal, where both the Palácio da Assembléia and Prefeitura Municipal are located, and admire Elevador Lacerda, the lift connecting the lower part of the city to the Pelourinho neighbourhood.
- Finally, after returning to the lower part of the city, we stop at Mercado Modelo, the main crafts centre of the city, where we have some free time to do some shopping before heading back to the ship.
Good to know
- The excursion involves long periods of walking, it is therefore recommended to wear comfortable shoes.
- There is limited availability of English-language guides; if these are not available the local guide's commentary will be translated by a local interpreter.