VISIT TO THE 'CUEVA DE LAS MARAVILLAS' (CAVE OF WONDERS ) AND A CIGAR FACTORY
In a nutshell
Good to know
An exciting experience to discover the underground archaeological museum where we can see cave paintings from the pre-Columbian era. A visit to a cigar factory completes the excursion.
- La Romana: 'Casa di Campo' pier
- Cueva de Las Maravillas (Cave of Wonders)
- Cigar Factory
- A 45 minute journey by motor launch takes us to the 'Casa de Campo' tourist pier at La Romana*.
- From here, we board a coach that takes us to the Cueva de Las Maravillas, a huge cave with more than 800 metres of underground tunnels, 240 of which are totally accessible to visitors thanks to excellent lighting that reveals wonderful geological formations. In addition to stalactites and stalagmites, one of the caverns has a beautiful lake with crystal clear water. The most important attraction of the cave however, are the Native Taino Indian paintings that date back to pre-Colombian times which have been preserved in almost perfect condition.
- When we leave the cave, we take the coach once again to go to a cigar factory. This factory produces various brands of cigars that all take shape with the rapid movements of the hands of Boncheros who pass the unfinished cigars to Roleras who carefully wrap the cigars.
- At the end of our excursion, the tender will accompany us directly on board our ship.
Good to know
- We recommend that you book early because only a limited number of places are available.
- The excursion includes a flight of approximately 100 steps.
- This tour is not recommended for guests who suffer from sea sickness and those who have mobility problems.
- There is limited availability of English speaking guides.
- During the trip to the cigar factory, those under 18 years of age will not be permitted within the production room and have to wait in the hall.
- The motor boat journey from the ship to La Romana dock takes around 90 minutes each way.