TOUR OF ST. PETERSBURG, SAINT ISAAC'S CATHEDRAL AND PETERHOF PALACE
In a nutshell A day dedicated to St. Petersburg's key sights, with a particular focus on Saint Isaac's Cathedral and the lavish Tsar summer residence in the suburbs of the city.
Good to know
- Neva river, Peter and Paul Fortress, Winter Palace, Church of the Saviour on Spilled Blood and Basil Island
- Tour inside Saint Isaac's Cathedral
- Tour of Peterhof Palace and Lower Gardens
- We will leave the port by coach and head towards the city centre where we will explore the famous streets and sights, admiring well-known buildings. Highlights of the panoramic bus tour include the Winter Palace, Neva river, Basil Island, and the Church of the Saviour on Spilled Blood.
- We will stop for a tour of the inside of Saint Isaac's Cathedral, a famous 19th-century creation that houses many valuable works by Russian painters and some wonderful mosaics. Then we will stop at a restaurant serving typical Russian food for a delicious lunch.
- Then we will set off again and travel south-west by coach until we reach Peterhof, also known as Petrodvorets, the most beautiful Tsar summer residence. This maze of palaces, fountains and gardens was commissioned by Peter the Great at the start of the 18th century in an attempt to compete with Versailles, and became a public museum and gardens after the October Revolution. We will explore the rooms in the main building, known as the Grand Palace, built by Italian architect Bartolomeo Rastrelli.
- Then we will head outside for a stroll through the majestic Lower Gardens, an area spanning 120 hectares, packed with pavilions and palaces overlooking the Gulf of Finland. This estate will enchant us with over 150 fountains and four waterfalls decorated with statues of mythological characters.
- Imagining life in the imperial court, we will wander across the garden pathways at this historical place before boarding the coach again that will take us back to the port.
Good to know
- The coach transfer to Peterhof Palace takes approximately 1 hour.
- There may be queues at the palace entrances and an itinerary on foot lasting approximately two hours.
- Places on this excursion are limited. We recommend booking early.
- It is not permitted to use cameras inside the palace.
- This tour is not suitable for wheelchairs.