A BOAT DISCOVERY TOUR OF HELSINKI AND ITS ARCHIPELAGO
In a nutshell
Good to know
A boat tour through the capital, in search of stories and interesting facts handed down from Viking times.
- Archipelago, Suomenlinna and North Harbour
- Market Square, free time for shopping and sampling gourmet treats
- After a short coach journey, we will set off by boat to discover the waters surrounding Helsinki. A local guide will accompany us on our tour, revealing stories and rumours relating to the monuments and sights we will see along the route. Illustrating the fascinating history of Helsinki, they will also explain the importance of the sea to its citizens.
- We will be able to admire the extraordinary urban archipelago; its stories, full of intrigue, began when the islands were used as lookout posts to warn inhabitants along the coast of possible foreign invasions during the Viking age. Today, a thousand years later, they are home to historic aristocratic residences, where Helsinki's wealthiest families spend their summers.
- We will cross Suomenlinna, a naval fortress built on an archipelago of six islands, recognised by UNESCO as a unique example of European military architecture of its time. We will then come to the North Harbour, where a large fleet of icebreakers is docked.
- Our boat excursion will come to an end near Market Square, where we can soak up the bright colours and irresistible aromas emanating from the stalls. We will have time to sample Finnish berries or buy local handicrafts.
- Once we've eaten our fill, we will return to the ship by coach.
Good to know
- The boat has seats inside and outside; in the event of inclement weather, you are advised to bring a raincoat and wear appropriate clothing.
- Places on this excursion are limited. We recommend booking early.