WALKING TOUR OF STAVANGER
Sightseen, Designed for families, MyExploration, Passepartour, Less than 1 hour walking, Family friendly
In a nutshell This tour offers an introduction to Stavanger, a city that has been the cornerstone of Norway's maritime history for centuries and is now both the main centre of the Norwegian oil industry and the country's fourth largest city by population. Don't miss this opportunity to visit the city and discover its many faces.
Good to know
- Old Stavanger
- Market square
- Harbour bay
- Stavanger Cathedral (outside visit)
- We will leave the port on foot and begin exploring the city.
- We will enjoy a stroll through Old Stavanger, characterised by narrow streets lined with picturesque wooden houses, complete with pretty gardens and historic gas lanterns. Dating back to the 18th and 19th centuries, these houses were once home to sailors, craftsmen and merchants. The charm of the area appears to have remained intact for centuries and the entire neighbourhood is now at the centre of the city's most ambitious restoration project.
- A short walk will take us to the market square and the harbour bay. During the summer months, you will have the opportunity to browse the stalls and admire the wide range of fruit, vegetables and seafood.
- On leaving the square, we will continue to the Cathedral for an outside visit Dedicated to St. Svithun, patron saint of the city, and built in around 1125 by Bishop Reinald of Winchester, with the help of British craftsmen, Stavanger Cathedral is the best-preserved medieval church in Norway, second only to the Nidaros Cathedral in Trondheim.
- After admiring the cathedral, we will return to the port.
Good to know
- Space is limited, so please reserve early.
- Tour will take place also in case of bad weather conditions, therefore suitable clothes are recommended. Space is limited, so please book early.
- This excursion is not recommended for those guestswith mobility problems.
- The Cathedral is currently under renovation, so the visit will be from outside.