PANORAMIC TOUR OF TROMSØ
An interesting excursion to the beautiful city of Tromsø, surrounded by a breathtaking scenery of islands, fjords and mountains: a city with a rich history that was once a starting point of many Polar expeditions and is now a University city where the old and the new coexist in perfect harmony.
What we will see
- Tromsø centre
- Tromsø Cathedral
- Sandnessund bridge
- Tromsø bridge
- Arctic Cathedral
What we will do
- We leave the port by coach and head for the centre of Tromsø, characterized by the neoclassical architecture of wooden buildings alongside other decisively more modern buildings. We then pass in front of *Tromsø Cathedral, one of the biggest wooden churches in Northern Europe.
- We proceed in our tour around the island up to the 1220 metres long Sandnessund bridge which connects Troms with the island of Kvaløya (also known as "Whale Island"). Here we pay a visit to the modern suburb of Tromsø, surrounded by a splendid backdrop of mountain peaks.
- We then return to Troms passing in front of the University of Tromsø, the main Norwegian university centre which boasts the highest number of Norwegian and foreign students.
- At this point, we cross the bridge over the strait of Tromsø, where sometimes currents can reach up to 4 knots.
- Once we reach the other end of the bridge, where almost half of the population of Tromsø resides, we pass in front of the Church of Tromsdalen, which is also known as the Arctic Cathedral. This church has ultra modern architectural style and a shape that recalls a Sami tent, or indeed the tip of an iceberg.
- We proceed with our tour passing in front of various local dwellings, all of which boast gardens full of colourful flowers; a rather surprising feature at this latitude!
- We return to port by crossing the 1 km long Tromsø bridge.