EXCURSION TO THE ISLANDS OF GISKE AND GODØY
Sightseen, Culture & local gems , Less than 1 hour walking
An unmissable excursion to the islands of Giske and Godøy, to step back in time and discover the events and traditions of Viking culture and the clans that populated this incredible archipelago centuries ago.
- Island of Giske: Giske church
- Island of Godøy: lighthouse in the village of Alnes
- Mount Aksla: panoramic viewpoint
- We start our excursion on the island of Giske, one of the many islands that make up the archipelago of the same name, where the inhabitants (around 6,300) rely on ferry links to Ålesund and the mainland. The islands can be reached over bridges and through underground tunnels, the longest of which is 4.2 km long.
- The legendary island of Giske enjoyed a particularly privileged position in the Viking era and was home to some of the most important Norwegian families. Giske is known as the "saga island" because the Viking chieftain, Rollo, an ancestor of William the Conqueror, was born here and later settled on the northern coast of France known today as Normandy. Settlements on the flat and fertile island of Giske date back to the beginning of the Bronze Age.
- Next we will visit Giske church, built in 1150; the inner and outer walls are covered with white marble. It was originally a family chapel belonging to the powerful Giske clan. The church boasts a multi-coloured altarpiece and a finely carved pulpit.
- Then we travel to the second island on our tour, the island of Godøy, where we will visit the lighthouse, dating back to 1876, situated in the small fishing village of Alnes overlooking the Atlantic Ocean. To truly appreciate the sense of isolation here, visitors who wish to do so can climb the stairs up the five floors of the wooden structure which lead to the top of the lighthouse, up to the circular balcony.
- After the lighthouse visit, we will return to Ålesund via the panoramic viewpoint of Mount Aksla which, along with the Fjellstua and Kniven viewpoints, is one of Ålesund's biggest attractions. It boasts incredible views of the town, the charming surrounding islands and the majestic Sunnmøre Alps.
Good to know
- Places on this excursion are limited. We recommend booking early.
- We recommend wearing comfortable shoes.