ISAFJORD AND OSVOR, THE FISHING VILLAGE
Sightseen, Culture & local gems , Less than 1 hour walking, 52
In a nutshell Discover the port town of Ísafjörður, the largest settlement on the western Icelandic fjords and important trade and cultural centre of the country.
Good to know
- Ísafjörður and its most ancient part Nedstikaupstadur
- Village of Bolungarvík, Ósvör Maritime Museum
- 'Djúp' peak
- Isafjördur, Maritime museum
- Local dishes and liqueur tasting
- Our excursion will start at the port of Ísafjörður, the largest settlement on the western Icelandic fjords.
- The city is located on a long strip of flat hook-shaped gravel land on the fjord. It may look like a small village, but it is the cultural and trade centre of the area.
- Its most ancient part, Nedstikaupstadur, has buildings that date back to the 18th century, a testimony to the prominent position of Isafjördur as one of the main trade ports in Iceland over the centuries.
- From Isafjördur, we will move towards the city and reach Bolungarvík, one of Iceland's most ancient fishing villages protected by a lovely bay surrounded by steep mountains. We will then visit the Ósvör Maritime Museum, which recreates the life of people in the past. The museum was once a harbour for rowing boats and was restored in 1988, making it the perfect testimony of what the life of Icelandic fishermen used to be like until the 20th century.
- We will head back to Isafjördur later. On the way, we can admire the incredible 'Djúp' peaks, the largest of the western fjords.
- We will then explore the oldest part of Isafjördur and visit the Maritime Museum, set out in one of the most ancient buildings of the city. Behind it, there are another three buildings dating back to 1780, all of which are perfectly preserved. During the excursion, we will have the chance to taste some local dishes such as fish and shark dried according to the Icelandic tradition accompanied by the local liqueur.
Good to know
- Places on this excursion are limited. We recommend booking early.
- This excursion includes an English speaking guide.