TOUR OF ANCIENT AND MODERN ROME
Panorama, PasseparTour, Culture, Lunch not included
Adagio Tour is an experience created in collaboration with Costa Crociere Foundation and Aism to meet the needs of guests who would like a “slower” pace to better savour the stops and their sights on itineraries with minimum architectural barriers. The 'Adagio Tour' version of this excursion is available exclusively on Costa Diadema until 26/10 and on Costa Smeralda from 30/11.Moving around by coach and on foot, accompanied by our guide but also free to explore various areas of the capital, this tour is a journey of discovery of one of the most beautiful cities in the world where history and culture merge together as if by magic.
What we will see
- Castel Sant'Angelo and Via della Conciliazione
- St. Peter's Square, Bernini's Colonnade and St. Peter's Basilica
- Trevi Fountain
- Colosseum, Circus Maximus and the Pyramid of Cestius
What we will do
- We leave Civitavecchia by bus headed to Rome, where we begin this day in the Eternal City admiring some of the most famous monuments and squares in Rome: the Baths of Caracalla, San Giovanni in Laterano, Santa Maria Maggiore up to the Vatican City.
- We pass the thin strip of travertine that marks the border between the two states and we find ourselves in St. Peter's Square, the highest symbol of Christianity, to take photos and admire architectural masterpieces such as Bernini's colonnade and St. Peter's Basilica. The distance between the bus park and the colonnade of San Pietro is about 700 m with regular paving, and the priority and accessible entrance is located to the right of the metal detectors. To access the Basilica it is possible to use the ramps and an elevator reserved for guests with limited mobility.
- The tour continues with our bus to see Castel Sant'Angelo, built as a mausoleum and used over the centuries as a papal residence, court, fortress and prison.
- From here we head on foot to Piazza di Spagna, from where our walk through the most iconic destinations of the city begins: the Trevi Fountain, the Pantheon, Piazza Navona just to name a few.
- In the afternoon, our guide takes us on a panoramic tour aboard the coach, dedicated to discovering the treasures of ancient Rome. We pass through the Colosseum, one of the seven wonders of the modern world as well as the amphitheater symbol of the greatness of Rome caput mundi, the Circus Maximus, where chariot races took place, and the Pyramid of Cestius, a funeral monument erected in Egyptian style in the 1st century BC.
- The excursion ends with the return to Civitavecchia, bringing with us the memory of an unforgettable day.
What you need to know
- In order to guarantee the health of our guests, in compliance with the regulations and the respect of the safety protocol, the itineraries and the duration of the excursions may be subject to changes, even if not substantial.
- The transfer to Rome takes approximately 1 hour and 30 minutes.
- Dress code that is appropriate for the places of worship to be visited is recommended.
- Disable guests need to be escorted by an accompanying person.
- For those guests with wheel chair, the reservation of the Adagio tour need to be done exclusively through your cruise reservation agent.