PANORAMIC VENICE BY GONDOLA
Sightseen, Less than 1 hour walking
In a nutshell
Good to know
In Venice, the streets are known as “calli” and cars are replaced by boats, the most famous of which is the gondola, which you will take on a tour around the canals. The essence of Venice.
- Giudecca Canal and St. Mark's Basin
- Islands of Lido and S. Andrea
- Sant'Erasmo Canal, St. Mark's Square
- Gondola trip
- A boat will take you to St. Mark's Basin and from there you'll proceed to various sites of interest around this unique city by the sea.
- From the Giudecca Canal, you'll head towards the Lido island, the venue for the Venice Film Festival. You'll see the island of S. Andrea, the ancient fortress in which Giacomo Casanova was imprisoned, and you'll pass by the island of Murano, famous for its glass-making.
- Back in St. Mark's Basin, it's a short walk to the gondola moorings, where your tour of the canals of Venice begins.
- If you love numbers then you should know that gondolas are 11 meters long, 1.4 wide and about half a meter high, also they have an asymmetric shape to help the gondolier keep his balance when steering, which he does using a long oar, standing on the left hand side of the stern. The elegance of this boat is also a result of the expertise with which it is built. Did you know that eight different types of wood are used to build one? Oak, fir, cherry, larch, lime, elm, walnut and mahogany are expertly fitted together in this masterpiece of naval engineering.
- At the end of the trip, you can carry on wandering around the old town and make your own way back. St. Mark's Square and its covered arcades await you.
Good to know
- Each gondola can carry up to 6 people. Families cannot be guaranteed to travel on the same gondola.
- The excursion is available both for guests in transit and for guests with a flight, train journey or transfer departing from Venice after 6.30 p.m.
- The excursion program does not include any further transfer at the end of the excursion from the Cruise Terminal, neither to the railway station nor to any other destination.
- Costa Cruises offers all tour guests a left luggage service inside the Cruise Terminal, where luggage can be delivered and collected until 5.00 p.m.
- This is one of the most popular excursions so book early.