HIKING IN THE HEART OF FUERTEVENTURA
Nature, Fun, Drink included
A fantastic walking excursion to discover the slow-paced lifestyle and the natural wonders of the island's interior, where Fuerteventura's characteristic African landscape gives way to greener, more fertile areas full of interesting plant and animal life. To end the excursion in style, we take the opportunity to relax on the famous black sands of the beach at Ajuy.
What we will see
- Excursion along the Rio Palmas river
- Vega de Rio Palmas and Virgen de la Peña
- Exploring a Nature Reserve
- The black sands of the beach at Ajuy
What we will do
- We leave the port by coach and head to Betancuria. It is here among the idyllic rustic scenery and rural architecture that we begin our walking tour exploring the landscape of the island's hinterland.
- We follow the road along the valley of the Rio Palmas (River Palmas) for about an hour and a half. This is the most fertile part of the island with green hills and terraced fields dotted with palm trees and bamboo plants.
- We head for Vega de Rio Palmas a small village that conceals some fascinating attractions, such as the church housing the alabaster statue of the 'Virgen de la Peña', Fuerteventura's patron saint.
- We enjoy a short coffee break at a bar in the village then head into the nearby nature reserve where, if we are lucky, we might spot an eagle, or one of the Canary Islands' remaining species of vulture. Roaming around unique geological formations, narrow gorges, remote thistle groves and cliffs festooned with tamarisk and palm trees, we look for sculptures of the island's saints.
- Our excursion ends with a visit to one of the island's must-see spots, the coastal village of Ajuy facing the ocean. Right in front of the village there is a beautiful, sheltered beach of the finest, blackest sand surrounded by high cliffs. There are also numerous cafés, bars and restaurants in the village, where we can relax.
What you need to know
- Places on this excursion are limited. We recommend booking early.
- You need to be physically fit to take part in this excursion.
- This excursion does not include the services of a guide. Our instructors will provide information in either English or Spanish.
- Minimum age: 12.
- The route includes stretches of level ground and stretches over rough terrain.
- Comfortable shoes and clothing are recommended.