THE HEART OF FUERTEVENTURA
Panorama, Culture, Tasting
Amidst mountains and volcano cones that characterize the arid landscape of the island's hinterland covered in volcanic dust, we set off to discover the local traditions of Fuerteventura, its artistic crafts and its typical products, taking the opportunity to sample a few.
What we will see
- Cheese Museum Antigua
- Meeting the locals and tasting traditional specialities
- Casa Santa Maria and multimedia presentation
- Aloe vera plantation with demonstration
What we will do
- We set off from Puerto del Rosario by coach, and head inland to the Cheese museum in Antigua.
- The museum has various areas to discover - find out about the islands volcanic orgins, its flora & fauna and the Majorera goats and their famous cheese, all organized around a central patio. The museum is also home to the original Antigua Windmill, found in perfect working condition. Don´t miss the chance to enjoy the cactus garden, a green treasure with species which only grow on this island as well as other species from all over the world.
- You will also has the opportunity to sample some of traditional cheese yourself.
- Our excursion continues with a visit to the Casa Santa Maria a beautifully refurbished 17th-century farmstead in the heart of Betancuria, which houses a museum dedicated to the artisan handicrafts of the Canary Islands.
- Here we can watch a wide-screen, multimedia presentation featuring recent images of the island's unspoilt natural wonders and secret treasures.
- The last leg of our journey takes us to an aloe vera plantation, exploiting the particularly favourable Fuerteventura climate characterized by steady temperatures and low rainfall. Here we have the opportunity to watch a demonstration of the medicinal properties of this remarkable plant.
What you need to know
- Places on this excursion are limited. We recommend booking early.
- This excursion is not recommended for guests with mobility problems.