ON THE ROAD TO GALILEE
Panorama, Culture, 5
A fascinating and evocative excursion to two towns in Galilee that are of prime importance to the Christian tradition: Nazareth, with the Church of the Annunciation, and Yardenit, where Jesus was baptised.
- Nazareth: Church of the Annunciation
- Yardenit: site of the baptism of Jesus, ceremony to renew baptismal promises
- We will set off by coach from the port of Haifa for the town of Nazareth and in particular the Church of the Annunciation, the largest church in the Middle East and one of the most important Christian sanctuaries in the world.
- According to Christian tradition, the church was built on the site of the house of the Virgin Mary, where the Archangel Gabriel is said to have appeared to Mary to announce that she would become the Mother of Jesus.
- Built in 1969, the modern church was commissioned from the architect Giovanni Muzio by the Franciscans. In the courtyard outside the church, a curious mix of portraits of the Virgin Mary with the Christ Child from all over the world create a sacred and ecumenical atmosphere. Below the level of the church, we will have the opportunity to admire a 5th-century Byzantine church, built around the Grotto of the Annunciation.
- We will set off by coach from this evocative place to Yardenit, a town located on the banks of the River Jordan that plays host every day to pilgrims from all over the world who have come to see the place where Jesus was baptised. A unique opportunity awaits us here: the chance to renew our baptismal promises by taking part in an intimate group ceremony before immersing ourselves in the waters of the most sacred of rivers.
Good to know
- Clothing that is appropriate for the places of worship to be visited is recommended (ladies are expected to wear a scarf covering shoulders and arms; neither ladies nor gents are allowed to wear shorts).
- We recommend wearing a swimming costume for the baptism ceremony in the River Jordan.
- A tunic provided on site must be worn in the changing rooms.