DISCOVER IZMIR - FROM HOMER'S TIMES TO THE PRESENT DAY
In a nutshell We will visit the important port of Izmir, the third largest city in Turkey, where the remains of an ancient past are hidden and merged with its metropolitan traits.
Good to know
- New Archaeology Museum
- The excursion will lead us to discover this fantastic coastal city - Izmir , the third largest city in Turkey covering over 12 thousand square metres and with a population of over 3 million.
- It has always been famous for its port, one of the most important for trade and the export of dried figs, sultanas and hazelnuts and at first it looks extremely modern.
- We will remain truly fascinated by spotting the remains of the ancient past in all their glory among modern skyscrapers and concrete buildings.
- After a panoramic tour of the city, we will visit the New Archaeology Museum, a must on our itinerary.
- Three wide rooms dedicated to statues, objects and ceramics are lit up by a modern lighting system that will guide us along a charming route among numerous precious finds.
- After the museum, a bus ride along the coast will take us to the Karsiyaka district, a modern and almost entirely urbanised area that is considered the second largest district in Izmir in terms of population.
- Here, we will have some free time for a stroll among the shops and streets before taking the ferry across the Gulf of Izmir to reach Konak, the largest district of the city located on the southern part of the Gulf and administrative and commercial centre of Izmir. Our bus will wait for us there to take us back to the ship.
Good to know
- Space is limited, so please reserve early. From January to May 2014 the Archaeological Museum will be closed for renovation; the visit will be replaced by the Agora Open Air Museum.