EPHESUS - ARCHAEOLOGICAL SITE AND HOUSE OF THE VIRGIN MARY
Panorama, Culture, Shopping
The excursion will take us to see what remains of the monumental buildings that used to embellish the city of Ephesus in Roman times and will lead us to a pilgrimage destination that is particularly important to Christians - the house where Mary lived after Jesus died.
What we will see
- Temple of Hadrian
- Library of Celsus
- House of the Virgin Mary
What we will do
- Our local guide will introduce us to Ephesus' ancient history on a one and a half our tour which will enable us to reach one of the most important archaeological sites in Turkey and maybe of the ancient world.
- During our visit we will discover the unforgettable riches of Ephesus, the ancient capital of the Roman province of Asia Minor and an important commercial centre in the Mediterranean.
- We will admire the Agora, the elegant and graceful Temple of Hadrian and the Library of Celsus, which can store up to 12,0000 parchments and has a magnificent façade.
- A photo sitting on the steps of the biggest Theatre in ancient times will takes us to a time where the arena was filled by over 25,000 spectators.
- The next stop on our excursion will take us to one of the most sacred Christian sites - the place where it is believed that the Virgin Mary spent her last years.
- Surrounded by greenery on Bulbul mount, the simple house was forgotten until 1892, when it was declared a sacred place of pilgrimage. A small stone church has been built on its foundations and has been visited by Pope Paul VI, Pope John Paul II and, more recently, by Pope Benedict XVI.
- Before returning to the ship, we will stop at a shop with local products.
What you need to know
- The excursion involves walking, it is therefore recommended to wear comfortable shoes and clothing.
- Dress code that is appropriate for the places of worship is recommended for the visit to the House of the Virgin Mary.