PERAST, VISIT TO 'OUR LADY OF THE ROCKS' AND KOTOR
Culture & local gems , Less than 1 hour walking
In a nutshell
Good to know
An evocative journey to discover the Baroque soul of Perast and the only artificial island in the Adriatic Sea, ending with a visit to the town of Kotor and its Medieval treasures.
- Island of "Our Lady of the Rocks"
- Kotor: St. Tryphon Cathedral, Maritime Museum
- After a brief coach transfer, we stop to visit the picturesque town of Perast to photograph its treasures. A great maritime power that reached its apex in the 17th and 18th century, Perast is the best preserved Montenegrin Baroque city.
- A boat then takes us to the artificial island of 'Our Lady of the Rocks' (Gospa od Škrpjela), built around a small rock (Škrpjel) by the locals over the centuries using stones and parts of old sunken ships. Here we visit the church, dedicated to the Madonna, which has been defined a 'true treasure trove', a testimony of the history and tradition of Perast. Before heading back, we stop to enjoy the magnificent view of the Bay of Kotor.
- We then board the boat again and head towards Kotor, a picturesque city surrounded by imposing Medieval walls that was declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site after the earthquake of 1979.
- We stroll around the streets of the historic centre and see the Cathedral of St. Tryphon, the oldest cathedral on the eastern coast of the Adriatic Sea which boasts a precious collection of 14th-century Venetian art.
- We then visit the Maritime Museum, located in the 18th-century Grgurina palace, where we admire model ships, tools, banners, photographs and artefacts.
- At the end of our guided tour, we will have some free time to wander around the city and buy some souvenirs.
Good to know
- Dress code that is appropriate for the places of worship to be visited is recommended.
- The itinerary may be subject to change.