WALK AROUND KOTOR
Culture & local gems , MyExploration, Passepartour, From 1 to 3 hours walking
An excursion to discover Kotor, a picturesque town overlooking the crystal clear waters of Kotor Bay, and the Medieval treasures inside its ancient walls.
- Ancient walls
- Old town
- St. Tryphon Cathedral
- Maritime Museum
- The town of Kotor, at the foot of Mount Lov_en, is located on a coastal strip in the Gulf of Kotor. The construction work on the ancient fortification walls started in the Middle Ages, in 1420 when Kotor was at the height of its splendour. and was only finished in the 18th century. The walls are 15 metres high and extend for 4.5 km around the town to St. John's Castle 280 m above sea level.
- In the old town, with its well-preserved medieval character, we will visit the Cathedral of St. Tryphon, built in 1166, to admire the Romanesque architecture enhanced by Byzantine elements. Inside, we observe the square pillars alternating with ancient columns between the naves and the apse.
- We will then visit the Maritime Museum, which illustrates the maritime tradition of the city, consolidated between the 16th and 18th centuries, as well as recalling the most famous fleets and captains of its history.
- After our guided visit, we have some free time to walk around the picturesque streets to do some shopping or relax in one of the many cafés.
Good to know
- We recommend wearing comfortable shoes.
- Dress code that is appropriate for the places of worship to be visited is recommended.
- This excursion is not recommended for guests with mobility problems and pregnant women.
- The itinerary may be subject to change.