THE KAMENI SISTERS: VOLCANIC CRATERS AND HOT SPRINGS
Could you ever have imagined sailing to the deserted island of Nea Kameni in a gulet to visit the crater of an active volcano? And to top it all swim in the hot springs of Palia Kameni, surrounded by the scenic beauty of the Greek sea. It is now a reality.
- Nea Kameni and its lunar landscape
- Swim in the hot springs of Palia Kameni
- You'll travel to the island of Nea Kameni from Athinios harbor in a gulet, a traditional local vessel, which is fascinating in itself.
- Our guide will tell you that the uninhabited island of Nea Kameni lies at the heart of the Santorini caldera and is the result of lava eruptions over the last two thousand years. Welcome to the moon… or almost. You're about to reach the crater of an active volcano. Here you'll see fragments of lava and some spectacular volcanic rock formations. There are no plants except for the small red succulents that cover the surface in warmer months, and a single fig tree that thrives, incredibly, on top of the crater.
- Get back on the gulet and sail on to Palia Kameni for a dip in its hot springs, known for their therapeutic benefits. Be careful, however, because the sulfur-rich water could discolor your bathing suit.
- After a reviving swim, you'll set sail for the port of Fira.
Good to know
- During the tour, our certified guide will provide information in English.
- You can return to the ship using the tender service: check the “all onboard” time in the Diario di Bordo.