OLYMPIA AND THE FLAVOURS OF ANCIENT GREECE
An excursion to discover a true archaeological jewel of Ancient Greece, where the Olympic Games were born, and to appreciate the scents and flavours of this land overflowing with history.
Ancient Olympia: archaeological excavations
Tasting of local products
- We begin our excursion with a visit to ancient Olympia, a gem set in the valley at the foot of the verdant Mount Kronion. Legend says it was here that the gods of Olympia inaugurated the first Olympic Games, which were to transform the city into the centre for sport and religion par excellence for all Greece. We will stroll amidst the excavations, wrapped in a moving atmosphere suspended in time. We will admire the ruins of the splendid temple dedicated to the God Zeus, which once held his enormous gold and ivory statue, one of the seven wonders of the ancient world. Next, we turn towards the Temple of Hera (600 BC), one of the oldest examples of temple architecture in Greece, where the ceremony of the lighting of the Olympic torch is still held. Our tour of the excavations ends as we admire what remains of the famous stadium, which could hold up to 40,000 spectators.
- We continue our excursion in Olympia, where we can delight our palate with tasty local products to the cheerful, haunting notes of the Sirtaki, a typical dance of folk origin.
Good to know
- The excursion involves walking for about 1 hour and 30 minutes, it is therefore recommended to wear comfortable shoes and clothing.
- We recommend that you book early because only a limited number of places are available.
- Large backpacks are not allowed inside the archaeological site.
- In order to guarantee the health of our guests, in compliance with the regulations and the respect of the safety protocol, the itineraries and the duration of the excursions may be subject to changes, even if not substantial.
- This excursion is not recommended for guests with limited mobility.