FREE TIME IN TARQUINIA
Panorama, Nature, Culture
Tarquinia: Etruscan capital, medieval town, archaeological site of international renown. We embark on a journey of discovery in this city where history has left innumerable traces, and we have all the time we need to enjoy our visit in total freedom.
What we will see
- City centre streets, squares and market
- Free time to visit the Church of Santa Maria in Castello, the fortified tower of the Countess Matilda of Canossa, Piazza delle Erbe and the Barucci Tower
What we will do
- We leave the port and head for the ancient city of Corneto, today's Tarquinia, an architectural and historical jewel set within the medieval walls of a charming hamlet that has been nicknamed the "San Giminiano" of the Latium region because of its numerous towers.
- On our way there a guide provides all the information we may need and a map of the city to make the most of our day there.
- When we arrive in Tarquinia, we have free time to wander around the picturesque town with its towers and churches or venture into the market square to discover an unexpected and dazzling world which features the unique bricks with their unmistakable colour - the colour of macco, a unique local building material.
- Romanesque, Gothic and Neoclassical architectural styles are almost unwittingly intertwined on the façades of the palazzi and churches, including the splendid church of Santa Maria in Castello which towers in isolation at the edge of the hill.
- Among the places of interest you can visit there is the Fortified Tower of the Countess Matilda of Canossa, a jewel set in fortification walls that are well worth viewing, Piazza delle Erbe, dominated by the Barucci Tower at the foot of which the executioner carried out his grim rituals.
- At the end of our free time in the city we make our way back to the ship well aware of the fact that we have been to a really unique place.
What you need to know
- This excursion does not include a guide.
- It is very important to listen to our courier who will announce the meeting place and time for your return on board.