FUNCHAL AND ITS CESTINHOS
Panorama, Nature, Tasting
A trip to discover the best of Madeira's sights and customs, such as the unmissable trip down the mountain in traditional wicker cestinhos, or baskets, as well as the typical local wine
What we will see
- Pico dos Barcelos
- Funchal: 17th-century building and wine tastings, city centre
What we will do
- On the coach, we head all the way up to Pico dos Barcelos, a beautiful panoramic terrace, 350 metres above sea level, from which we can admire Funchal and its mountainous landscape. We then drive towards Monte, which is known not only for its wonderful subtropical gardens, but also because its church houses the remains of Charles I, the last emperor of Austria.
- At the end of the trip, we will travel down the mountain in cestinhos, the typical local transportation comprised of sleds in the form of baskets. Once in Funchal, we will visit an building from the 17th century where we can sample some Madeira, the wine for which the island is famous across the world.
- Intoxicated by the flavour of this very particular wine, we have some free time in which to visit the city centre, before returning to the ship.
What you need to know
- The planned panoramic itinerary includes a number of curves and hairpin bends.
- Places on this excursion are limited. We recommend booking early.
- We recommend you wear clothing suited to high altitudes.
- Alcoholic drinks will be served during the tasting.