In a nutshell An excursion to discover the magic of the exotic botanical gardens of Monte, a small town close to Funchal that offers unforgettable panoramic views of the bay.
Good to know
- Funchal Bay: panoramic view from the cable car
- Botanical gardens
- Funchal city centre: market with typical produce, local handicraft shop and typical wine tasting
- We will start our tour by visiting Monte, a sheltered town on the hills that dominate Funchal. Also known as Nossa Senhora do Monte, it is located 6km from the centre of the capital and once housed thermal baths that were particularly appreciated by European high society. By taking a cable car, we will head for the famous botanical gardens, which are rich in exotic plants. This will give us chance to make a brief but unforgettable trip with wonderful partial views of Funchal Bay and views of the he João Gomes river, a place of rare and exotic beauty thanks also to the luxuriant Laurissilva forest.
- Before immersing ourselves in the gardens, we will stop in the garden's main recreation area, which offers a spacious restaurant and café, and panoramic views over Funchal, as well as some pretty shops. Here, with the evocative view of Funchal Bay, we can enjoy a drink, perhaps trying a slice of typical local cake.
- At last we are ready to visit the botanical gardens in the Quinta do Bom Successo, an estate that once belonged to the Reid family and is immersed in an area that boasts the ideal climatic conditions in which to grow luxuriant vegetation.
- Once back in Funchal city centre, we will visit the market with its typical produce: endless fruits, vegetables, flowers, fish and traditional artisan products.
- We will stop off at a local handicraft shop, where we can admire a range of typical lace products and taste the unmissable wines produced using the renowned local Madeira vine variety, thanks to which the island has achieved worldwide fame.
Good to know
- The market is closed on Saturday afternoons, Sundays and on public holidays.
- The cable car is a popular attraction; you may encounter a delay.