BEQUIA AT THE PACE OF ITS PEOPLE
My Explorations, Passepartour, 5
Bequia is tiny, but it is the essence of the Caribbean. How best to describe it? Unspoilt nature, slow pace of life and turquoise waters. The magic begins on the ferry and continues on the sightseeing bus with an overview of local life here with its forests, banana plantations and goats grazing around the sorbet colored houses. Once you get to Lower Bay Beach, a perfect afternoon on the beach awaits you, with exquisite food to enjoy as you paddle in the water.
- Ferry to Bequia
- Sightseeing bus trip to Lower Bay Beach
- Afternoon at the sea and the chance to have lunch in a beach restaurant
- In the local language, Bequia means “island of clouds”, but you won't see many clouds in this bright corner of the Lesser Antilles.
- Travel to the island by ferry on a one-hour journey that is worth the trip in itself, then hop on the bus to enjoy a unique view of the hinterland and the farmers growing tropical fruits on their small plots. Looking out to sea you'll be able to spot the multicolored boats of the local fishing villages: did you know that on this island whale hunting is part of an ancestral tradition?
- After dipping into the real life of the island, you deserve a dip of a different kind at the beautiful Lower Bay Beach, among rays, turtles, seahorses, lobsters and brightly colored fish.
- And if you fancy an equally delightful light lunch , pop into Keegans, a characteristic beach barserving grilled fish and lobster, creole-style shellfish, ginger chicken and much more.
- Satisfied and at ease with the slow pace of the locals, enjoy the panoramic route back to Port Elizabeth, with its glimpses of secret bays, sail boats and yachts.
Good to know
- Slight changes may be made to itineraries and the length of excursions in order to protect your health and to comply with regulations and the safety protocol.
- You'll be accompanied by an English-speaking guide.
- Before booking the excursion or once on board, contact the excursion office to check the availability of vegetarian or gluten-free dishes and to report any food intolerances.