THE TREASURES OF EPHESUS AND THE FLAVORS OF SIRINCE
Follow our guide on a visit to the ancient city of Ephesus: the Temple of Hadrian, the Great Theater, the Odeon, the Library. Enjoy some free time in Sirice then catch up with us for some local wine tasting. And to round off the day, you're invited to lunch in a private home, where everything is cooked by the hosts. Turkish coffee and divination included.
- Ephesus: Temple of Hadrian, Fountain of Trajan, Great Theater, Odeon Theater, Library
- Sirince: free time and wine tasting
- Traditional lunch in a private home
- Follow our guide among the ruins of Ephesus, one of the best-preserved archaeological sites in Turkey.
- Discover the third most powerful city of the ancient world, after Rome and Alexandria, founded around the 15th century BC, according to history, by Ephesia, the queen of the Amazons.
- Observe the Corinthian style Temple of Hadrian; the Fountain of Trajan, with the statue of the emperor; the Great Theater, the small Odeon and the Library that contained 12,000 parchments.
- Take the minivan to Sirince, a land so inviting that its first inhabitants called it Çirkince, meaning 'ugly place”, to discourage invaders.
- An entirely different hospitality awaits you today. You'll find out walking freely around the market, shops and Byzantine church. And at the wine shop, where we've arranged a tasting of local wines and products made with peaches, blueberries and grapes grown in the surrounding orchards and vineyards.
- And it doesn't end there, you'll be the guest of honor at lunch in a local home: from stuffed vine leaves to homemade makarna pasta, meatballs in tomato sauce and the inevitable Turkish coffee with a reading of the grounds included. And remember to behave as a real Turk: take off your shoes before entering the home.
Good to know
- Slight changes may be made to itineraries and the length of excursions in order to protect your health and to comply with regulations and the safety protocol.
- The visit to the Church is optional and you are free to enter it but there is a hill to climb on foot in order to reach it.
- Menus may vary according to season to ensure the constant high quality of the dishes served.
- Before booking the excursion or once on board, contact the excursion office to check the availability of vegetarian or gluten-free dishes and to report any food intolerances.
- In accordance with Turkish tradition, you will be asked to remove your shoes during lunch in the private home.
- This is one of the most popular excursions so book early.