HISTORY OF THE CHALLENGE OF BARLETTA
In a nutshell
Good to know
Barletta still celebrates the resounding victory of the Italian knights over the French. Come with us and discover the secrets of this historic 'challenge'.
- The Cathedral of Santa Maria Maggiore
- The Castle of Barletta
- The Colossus of Barletta
- Osteria della Sfida
- 13 Italian knights fought 13 French knights in a duel that left its mark on the history of this city. Every year, in February, it is commemorated by groups in period costume, flag-wavers, drums and torches. A celebration that is handed down from generation to generation.
- Immerse yourself in this air of victory and retrace the route of the historic procession, from the castle along the streets of the town center.
- You'll discover that this small fight, born of a quarrel at dinner between a French nobleman and a Spanish captain, had a dramatic effect on the history of Italy and Europe.
- Strolling along the alleys, you'll come to the Cathedral of Santa Maria Maggiore and the Colossus of Barletta, where you'll make a final stop at the Cantina della disfida, the original inn where period costumes, weapons, armor and even benches, stools, tables and mugs are still preserved. You will feel you are a part of the story itself.
Good to know
- This is one of the most popular excursions so book early.