VALLETTA’S HARBOUR CRUISE
Sightseen, Less than 1 hour walking
Embark the boat to witness Malta’s living past, and cruise around the two natural harbours on either side of Valletta – Marsamxett Harbour and the Grand Harbour. A detailed commentary will unfold the history of the Three Cities connected with the two great Sieges of 1565 and 1942, as well as all the other places of interest including the historic forts, battlements and creeks showing you the closest possible views.
Enjoy a relaxed harbour cruise
Views of the 3 cities from the sea
See Marsamxett and the Grand Harbour
- Meet your Maltese guide and together board the boat and set off to explore the Maltese harbours. Malta's history will unfold before your eyes as you pass by the magnificent forts, battlements and creeks of Marsamxett and the Grand Harbour. Along with the natural harbours, the imposing bastions of the fortified cities of Valletta and the Three Cities are beautiful sites to soak in. Manoel Island with its star-shaped fort and the Lazzaretto, located at the Ta' Xbiex, a former quarantine facility and hospital used during the outbreak of the plague in 1542.
- Continue on to the mighty walls of Valletta to see the Fort St. Elmo, located at the city's tip, a fundamental defensive structure due to its strategic location which helped the Knights to achieve victory during the Great Siege in 1565.
- As we pass the Fort, enjoy a view of Fort Ricasoli, Malta's largest fortification, built in the late 16th-century which has remained virtually intact. Sail by the south-eastern shore of the harbour which is formed by a number of inlets and headlands. Here, the main landmark is Fort St. Angelo, a bastioned fort, located on a hillock, at the end of the Vittoriosa peninsula. During the Second World War, Fort St Angelo offered protection against the enemy air raids. After the war, the fort continued to serve as the headquarters of the Royal Navy in Malta. Return back to pier and walk back to your ship.
Good to know
- The excursion could take place in the morning or afternoon
- In order to guarantee the health of our guests, in compliance with the regulations and the respect of the safety protocol, the itineraries and the duration of the excursions may be subject to changes, even if not substantial.