PIZZAS, NATIVITY CRIBS AND SFOGLIATELLE
PasseparTour, Culture, Gourmet Tours, 1
Visit Naples, but experience it like a Neapolitan, eating a folded pizza, chatting with nativity scene artisans and discover the history of the capuzzelle from our local guide. Needless to say there is no lack of churches, castles and basilicas. Plus a taste of “sfugliatèlla”.
- Maschio Angioino: medieval-renaissance castle, external visit
- Church of Gesù Nuovo and Basilica of Santa Chiara, external visit
- Spaccanapoli: the symbolic street that cuts through Naples, including food tasting
- Piazza San Domenico and Via San Gregorio Armeno: where nativity scenes are made
- Via Port'Alba: bookstore central
- San Carlo Opera House
- Umberto I Gallery
- You'll be welcomed by the Maschio Angioino, the city's symbolic castle, and the 14th century Basilica of Santa Chiara.
- Spaccanapoli is the street that runs all the way from the Spanish Quarter to the district of Forcella, the heart of the city. It includes the altar dedicated to Maradona, the “saint” of Napoli soccer fans! Did you know that before a big game, some of them would go there to pray for victory? Definitely worth a picture.
- On Via San Gregorio Armeno it's like walking straight into a Christmas nativity scene. Saint Joseph and the shepherds are joined by Elvis Presley, Frank Sinatra or Pulcinella... you'll want to buy all the little statues!
- Hungry? Pizza! Pizzeria Di Matteo is the go to place for Neapolitans. Here they make pizza you can fold up like a wallet. How about a sfogliatella? Do you prefer your pastry short or flaky?
- The guide will then tell us about the strange but heartfelt Neapolitan cult of the capuzzelle, connected to the souls that are still in Purgatory. There's time for one last look around the strada dei librai with its countless bookstores.
Good to know
- Slight changes may be made to itineraries and the length of excursions to protect your health and to comply with regulations and the safety protocol.
- If Pizzeria di Matteo is full, we'll take you to another equally good pizzeria.