A POSTCARD OF ANCIENT OLYMPIA (pm departure)
PasseparTour, Culture, Shopping
In a nutshell
Good to know
What better way to create the perfect alchemy between the origins of history, the ethics of sport at its very beginnings, ancient culture, the great classical myths and the modern world?
- Ancient Olympia: (outside visit)
- Modern Olympia
- In Olympia a guide awaits us who will lead us in our discovery of this ancient sacred city, full of temples, monuments, priests' houses, athletes' homes and public buildings. A gem set in a valley crossed by the River Alfios in the north-west Peloponnese, the city held the famous Olympic Games in honour of Zeus every four years. Here in 776 BC, a list of winners was drawn up for the first time, presumably the results of the very first Olympics in history.
- Let's delve into the past and discover the little secrets of the competition, which was first accessible only for male athletes of Greek origin and was later opened up to young Romans. Perhaps not everyone knows that women and slaves were banned from the town, the sanctuaries and the terraces, at the risk of a terrible death by being thrown from a nearby cliff.
- At the end of our external guided tour, we have to wake up from the spell of the past and return to reality if we're not to miss the chance of discovering the streets of modern Olympia.
Good to know
- The Olympia archeological site will only be seen from outside.
- In order to guarantee the health of our guests, in compliance with the regulations and the respect of the safety protocol, the itineraries and the duration of the excursions may be subject to changes, even if not substantial.