TREKKING THROUGH HISTORY AND NATURE
Active & adventurous, Less than 1 hour walking
An excursion trail will take you to the abandoned village of Palia Vlachata, where trees grow in the old houses. And near the Zervati Cave, with its underground lakes full of rare aquatic plants. Ending up at the Antisamos Beach, the location for the movie, “Captain Corelli's Mandolin”.
- Abandoned village of Palia Vlachata
- Zervati Cave and its geological phenomena
- Monastery of Agioi Fanentes, with pre-Byzantine frescoes
- Antisamos Beach: cinematic beauty
- The first stop on the excursion trail is a guided tour of Palia Vlachata, an ancient mountain village destroyed by the earthquake of 1953. Here you'll see the remains of Kefalonia's architecture before the quake.
- The second stop is Zervati Cave, with its two underground lakes. The cave can only be reached on foot or in a 4x4. Potholers come here from all over the world to study the special formations.
- The bus will take you to the third stop: the ruins of the monastery of Agioi Fanentes, dedicated to St. Gregory, St. Theodore and St. Leon, the so-called “Fanentes Saints” who lived on the island of Kefalonia. A number of pre-Byzantine frescoes are still visible here.
- The last stop on the excursion is Antisamos, a pebble beach surrounded by hills with a sea worthy of its reputation: several scenes of the movie Captain Corelli's Mandolin were shot here. We'll leave you to discover who the actors were.
Good to know
- This is one of the most popular excursions so book early.