THE FLAVOURS AND HISTORY OF ALBENGA
PasseparTour, Green-pass required, Gourmet Tours, Tasting
Albenga stretches, as though it was itself a peninsula, towards the sea on the estuary of the River Centa. Accompanied by our tour rep, we set off in discovery of the sites and history of this ancient city before sampling a renowned local speciality, Ligurian olive oil. GREEN PASS IS REQUIRED FOR THIS EXCURSION, PLEASE CARRY IT WITH YOU. IN CASE YOU DO NOT HAVE IT, YOU CAN OBTAIN IT ONBOARD.
- Old town: Cathedral of San Michele and the eponymous Piazza
- Olive Oil Museum, with tasting and refreshments
- Leaving the port, we set off towards the city of Albenga, whose ancient city walls enclose its pointed red towers and protect a treasure trove of Roman, Medieval and Renaissance architecture.
- Our guide leads us through atmospheric streets, helping us to discover the best that this little city on the Riviera di Ponente has to offer. You can visit “Magiche Trasparenze” exhibition (“Magical Transparencies”) which displays glassware found during architectural excavations in the city’s necropolises. These include the famous Blue Plate, a piece unlike any other anywhere in the world.
- We cross the picturesque Piazza di San Michele over which looms the eponymous Romanesque-Gothic Cathedral, and admire the octagonal 5th-century Baptistry– the oldest palaeo-Christian monument in Liguria – which houses an impressive mosaic.
- The surprised, however, are far from finished. Before we return to the ship, we enjoy a visit to the Oil Museum on the premises of renowed olive oil producer, the Sommariva company, where we can discover the secrets of this most precious of products and enjoy an appetizing snack.
Good to know
- Afin d'assurer la santé de nos passagers, dans le respect de la réglementation et du protocole de sécurité, les itinéraires et la durée des excursions peuvent être sujets à des changements, même s'ils ne sont pas substantiels.