THE BEST OF MALTA
Discovery & taste, Culture & local gems, From 1 to 3 hours walking, 50
Did you know that the Tarxien megalithic temples date back more than three thousand years? You'll see them on a tour of Malta that also includes a walk through Valletta's Barrakka Gardens. Next, a visit to Mdina, the city of nobility. You'll also learn to make ravjul in a Maltese cooking class.
- Valletta: Co-Cathedral of St John and Barrakka Gardens
- Tarxien megalithic temples
- Cooking class and typical lunch in Mosta
- Mdina, the capital of Malta until 1530
- The tour starts in Valletta, the Fortress City, declared a World Heritage Site by UNESCO. Here you'll visit the Co-Cathedral of St John, where the “Beheading of Saint John the Baptist” by Caravaggio is kept, and the Barrakka Gardens. Created by the Knights of Malta in 1661, they are now a panoramic park with a view across the Three Cities.
- You'll then proceed to Tarxien to see the megalithic temples, prehistoric structures made with gigantic stone blocks dating from the Age of the Temples, between 3600 and 2500 BC.
- How do you make ravjul, the traditional ravioli? You'll discover during a Maltese cooking class. And after learning how to make them, you'll also taste those made by the chef in the restaurant where you'll have lunch. They'll be served with a traditional tomato sauce.
- You'll continue through the streets of Mdina, a city of many names, including the 'Old City', the 'Silent City' or even the 'Noble City' because of the nobles who lived there. The capital city of Malta until 1530, it is a mix of medieval and baroque architecture. Several movies and TV series have been filmed here, including “Gladiator”, “Troy” and “Game of Thrones”.
Good to know
- Menus may vary according to season to ensure the constant high quality of the dishes served.
- Before booking the excursion or once on board, contact the excursion office to check the availability of vegetarian or gluten-free dishes and to report any food intolerances.
- Wear suitable clothing for the places of worship you will be visiting.
- Slight changes may be made to itineraries and the length of excursions to protect your health and to comply with regulations and the safety protocol.
- This is one of the most popular excursions so book early.