ARCHITECTURAL MARVELS INSIDE AND OUTSIDE HELSINKI
My Explorations, 3
In a nutshell Finnish architecture, with its surprising ancient and modern shapes, becomes the protagonist of a tour that exalts its beauty and enables travellers to grasp the deep essence of places truly out of the ordinary, such as a spectacular modern church carved in rock, a residence surrounded by nature designed by avant-garde architects as a compendium of their poetry and ancient buildings that tell the history of the country.
Good to know
- Sightseeing tour of Helsinki
- Mannerheimintie, Parliament building, Finlandia Hall
- Stop for photos at the Sibelius Monument
- Visit to Temppeliaukio, the evocative “Rock Church”
- Stop fro photos at the imposing Senate Square
- Visit to the Hvitträsk studio-residence
- Free time in Hvitträsk
- We start our excursion with a pleasant sightseeing tour of Helsinki to discover the city’s symbols and its most beautiful monuments.
- Along the way, we admire Mannerheimintie, one of the main streets, and the Parliament Building, setting of many crucial moments of national political life, the modern Finlandia Hall designed by the famous Finnish architect Alvar Aalto, and the National Museum with its austere Gothic appearance.
- We then stop for a few photos at the Sibelius Monument, dedicated to the famous Finnish composer and made up of hundreds of steel tubes forming a gigantic organ that plays when the wind blows.
- We continue with the extraordinary Lutheran church of Temppeliaukio, the ”Rock Church”, a modern masterpiece carved inside a rocky hill and an unmissable example of contemporary stone architecture which is definitely worth a visit.
- We reach the evocative Senate Square and stop to take a few photos of the lovely buildings such as the amazing Lutheran church and city museum.
- We end the morning with an hour’s free time available to have lunch wherever we please or indulge in some shopping.
- The afternoon is entirely dedicated to a visit to the Hvitträsk studio residence, built in 1902 on a wooded hill overlooking a lake and designed by three famous architects - Eliel Saarinen, Armas Lindgren e Herman Gesellius - inspired by the philosophy of a return to nature.
- We go on a guided tour of the residence which is now a museum, to better appreciate its history and characteristics, then enjoy some free time in the surroundings to explore them at our leisure.
- Our adventure ends here and we return to the ship as we take in the marvels of Helsinki from our coach one last time.
Good to know
- This excursion is not recommended for guests with mobility problems or wheelchair users.