Praia da Vitoria
CULTURE, HISTORY AND SCENERY OF ANGRA DO HEROÍSMO
In a nutshell A magnificent cultural excursion to discover the secrets of Angra do Heroísmo, an architectural gem that was declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1983. A short panoramic tour precedes a truly full immersion into the historic streets of the island’s main city accompanied by our guide to learn more about all the events that have led to it becoming what it is today. The free time available will give us the chance to discover the local culinary tradition as well as other peculiar aspects of this incredible city.
Good to know
- Cultural visit to Angra do Heroísmo and its city centre, a UNESCO World Heritage Site
- Pico da Memória viewpoint
- Jardim Duque da Terceira with its countless plants
- Palacio dos Capitaes Generais and Sé Catedral de Angra, two of the city’s most famous towns
- The City Hall, Câmara Municipal in Portuguese, with its lovely view of the square
- Palácio Bettencourt, a Baroque building now public library and one of the most important historic archives in the whole of Portugal
- Free time to discover the city and its local delicacies
- Our cultural visit to discover Angra do Heroísmo, the most important city on the island of Terceira, starts with panoramic tour by coach.
- During the 15th century, the city0s progress and its historic city centre declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1983, was due to its strategic location along the trade routes of the Portuguese East Indies. We cannot but let our imagination run wild at the though of the many caravels and galleons that were welcomed into the port over the centuries.
- First of all, we head to the amazing Pico da Memória viewpoint to admire the city from above.
- We continue our tour with the lush Jardim Duque da Terceira, an unmissable destination for plant lovers as well as one of the best known and appreciated gardens in the entire archipelago.
- We venture into the evocative Palacio dos Capitaes Generais to discover, thanks to our guide’s precious help, the essential stories of the city’s past, then continue towards one of the main buildings Sé Catedral de Angra.
- Increasingly fascinated by the local history, we continue to walk towards Câmara Municipal, the City Hall offering unique views of the square.
- After our cultural itinerary, we move on to Palácio Bettencourt, an extraordinary Baroque building now home to the public library and one of the most important historic archives in Portugal.
- Before returning to the ship, we have some free time available to wander around the charming city centre and discover some of the local specialities such as massa sovada sweet bread or the typical embroideries.
Good to know
- This excursion includes walking on mainly flat terrain. There may be steps or gravel paths.
- Guests with mobility problems may take part in the tour, but they may have to wait for the rest of the group rather walking during some stretches.
- Comfortable shoes and clothing are recommended.