Praia da Vitoria
WHALEWATCHING IN THE AZORES
In a nutshell A thrilling boat excursion to discover one of the most important whale and dolphin sanctuaries in the world. As we sail along the coast, we get the unique chance to admire the giants of the sea up close but also to contribute to protecting these fascinating cetaceans and their unique habitat. A high-adrenalin adventure that rewards us with simply unforgettable memories (and snaps).
Good to know
- Boat excursion
- Whale and dolphin spotting
- Spectacular photos
- Our adventure starts with a short coach transfer to the jetty from where our sighting boats set off.
- We board one of the boats bound off of Praia da Vitória in the hope of spotting majestic whales and entertaining dolphins in their natural habitat.
- The Azores boast a unique ecosystem and its waters are teeming with fish: it is no surprise that whale hunting used to be a main activity in the past. Nowadays, however, the archipelago has transformed itself into one of the most important whale sanctuaries in the world.
- Among resident and migratory, common or rare species, the incredible respect paid to these animals makes it possible to spot as many as 24 different species - a truly impressive number!
- We keep our eyes peeled and our cameras at the ready as we survey the waters looking for these majestic ocean inhabitants, and the blue whales in particular. But let us not forget to enjoy the incredible view of the coast from the sea!
Good to know
- Minimum age: 7 years old.
- Minimum height: 140 cm.
- Minimum weight: 30 kg.
- Wildlife sightings are not guaranteed as the species described live freely in the wild.
- Sightings depend on countless factors beyond our control, such as the fact that the animals may or may not swim near the coast during the excursion.
- The excursion is not recommended for pregnant women or guests with back problems.
- Participants will be handed out waterproof jacket and trousers and a life jacket.
- We recommend wearing suitable clothing and comfortable shoes and bringing a waterproof jacket, hat, sun lotion and water with you.
- During the visit it is essential to respect the animals and their habitat and to follow the instructions provided by the guide.