Praia da Vitoria
TREKKING AND BIRDWATCHING IN THE LUSH NATURE OF TERCEIRA
In a nutshell What better than a trek to discover the nature and unique species present on the island of Terceira, one of the most peculiar destinations in the Azores archipelago? An ideal excursion to admire a unique habitat and observe the local vegetation and animals up close. It is impossible not to let ourselves be thrilled by the unique volcanic scenery and bays on the northern coast of Terceira, the sight of which alone will immediately make us forget our effort.
Good to know
- Pico dos Loiros hill
- Grota da Lagoa
- Fajãzinha with its lush vegetation and unmissable viewpoint
- Ancient vines in Terceira
- Volcanic beach in Baía das Pombas, an unmissable birdwatching destination
- Breathtaking Ponta do Mistério coast with colourful lake
- We leave the port behind us on a coach headed to the village ofAgualva and, more precisely, to Pico dos Loiros hill, the starting point for this simple trek to discover the island’s vegetation and volcanic scenery.
- We start with the Grota da Lagoa stream.
- We then continue towards Fajãzinha and its unmissable viewpoint by tackling a climb up a path surrounded by typical coastal vegetation featuring unique local species such as heather and fescue. Once at the top, we stop to take a few amazing photos and capture this unique landscape forever.
- We take a shortcut through the ancient vineyards thus paying homage to the original local wine culture and admire the exuberance of the typical coastal vegetation.
- The path takes us to Baía das Pombas that welcomes us with its cliffs and typical volcanic scenery. It is an unmissable destination for birdwatching enthusiasts so, with a bit of luck, we can observe some of the species nesting in the Azores such as the common tern, Scopoli's shearwater and the local wood pigeon.
- From here, we continue on our way to Ponta do Mistério, one of the most admired coastlines on the island where we can admire a lovely lake boasting unique views and colours hidden among the rocks.
- The last part of our excursion winds through meadows and cliffs that once again leave us enchanted in front of the unique plant varieties on the island including pine trees, heather and pittosporum ondulatum.
- The excursion ends with a well-deserved coach ride back to the port and the ship.
Good to know
- Minimum age: 8 years old.
- Guests must be in good physical shape to take part in the excursion.
- The itinerary may be altered on the spot depending on weather conditions, morning fog and soil humidity.
- The walk lasts about 2.5-3 hours and covers approximately 4 km.
- You must wear footwear suited to unpaved, uneven and wet ground when trekking.
- We recommend wearing suitable clothing and bringing a light jacket, water, snacks suitable for trekking, a backpack, sun lotion and a hat with you.
- Respect the surrounding environment and nature and refrain from throwing litter or plastic bottles on the ground.
- A trekking guide will accompany us on the excursion.