SPECTACULAR MOUNTAIN SCENERY AND WINE AND CHEESE TASTING SESSION
In a nutshell Breathtaking views over volcanic lakes, lush vegetation, inviting thermal water pools: a scenic route along winding mountain streets takes us to discover the typical Lusitano horses ending with a delicious tasting session of local cheeses and wines.
Good to know
- Panoramic tour in the nature reserve of the Fogo volcanic lake
- Natural thermal pools in the Calderia Velha regional park
- Ribeira Grande: an architectural gem
- Lusitano horse breeding centre and visit of the stables
- Cheese and wine tasting session
- We set off on our coach from Ponta Delgada and head towards the central part of the island to Pico da Barrosa to admire the spectacular volcanic lake of Fogo, the highest above sea level on the island of San Miguel. The area, classified as a nature reserve, is surrounded by thick vegetation made up of local evergreen bay trees.
- As we drive up the winding mountain road to the northern coast, we reach Caldeira Velha, a magnificent regional park characterised by a lush varied vegetation as well as by thermal pools where nature presents us with a thousand shades of green embellished by brightly coloured berries.
- We continue to Ribeira Grande to visit its charming town centre. The narrow streets and municipal gardens are flanked by 17th and 18th-century urban architecture. The Church of the Holy Spirit is particularly noteworthy and is considered one of the most beautiful Baroque buildings in the archipelago.
- The tour ends on a farm famous for breeding Lusitano horses, animals known for their energetic and courageous temperament, so much so that they were used in war and corridas.
- After visiting the stables, we are offered a delicious tasting session of local wines and cheeses.
Good to know
- Visibility during the tour is subject to weather conditions.
- The order of the stops may be subject to modification without prior warning for operational reasons or to avoid the crowds.
- We recommend wearing comfortable flat shoes and clothing suitable for the weather conditions.