AMONG LEGENDS AND TRADITIONS: VOLCANIC LAKES AND WINE AND CHEESE TASTING SESSION
In a nutshell The fascinating panorama of Caldeira das Sete Cidades whose spectacular volcanic lakes and lush vegetation that have given rise to myths and legends is the background to the sweet life in this place where ancient traditions contribute to creating excellent products which we discover during an unmissable tasting session.
Good to know
- Sightseeing tour of Caldeira das Sete Cidades
- Miradouro da Vista do Rei viewpoint overlooking volcanic lakes
- Ancient town of Sete Cidades
- Volcanic landscape and Santiago Lake
- Ponta Delgada: wine and cheese tasting session
- We leave the ship behind us and head out on our coach to Miradouro da Vista do Rei, the King's View viewpoint named in honour of King Carlos I of Portugal who, in 1901, stopped at this point to admire the impressive panorama. The view stretches along an enormous crater featuring two twin lakes of different colours - the Blue Lake and Green Lake separated by a narrow bridge.
- According to popular legend, the different colour of the two lakes derives from the fact that they were formed by the tears of a blue-eyed princess who loved a green-eyed shepherd but whose love was opposed by the royal family.
- On the banks of the Blue Lake, we find one of the oldest towns on the island of San Miguel, i.e. Sete Cidades, where the population still leads a traditional lifestyle. It is named after the legend of a bad-tempered king due to the fact that he had no son and heir, and of a woman who promised him a daughter provided that he made up for his cruelty by building a palace surrounded by seven cities.
- The town is surrounded by the thick vegetation of the Caldeira which, thanks to its hydrangea and azalea bushes, explodes in a profusion of colours and scents.
- A short break enables us to admire the inaccessible Santiago Lake, a place of rare beauty located inside an extinct crater.
- We finally head to Ponta Delgada where we enjoy a selection of the best wines and cheeses in the Azores in one of the area’s main hotels.
Good to know
- Visibility during the tour is subject to weather conditions.
- The order of the stops may be subject to modification without prior warning for operational reasons or to avoid the crowds.
- We recommend wearing comfortable flat shoes and clothing suitable for the weather conditions.