TRIESTE: A CENTRAL EUROPEAN CITY
Sightseen, Less than 1 hour walking
Bus trip to discover the old town, with its Roman monuments and medieval quarter. Then it's up the San Giusto hill to view the Gulf from above and discover the Cathedral with the guide. After a visit to the Miramare Castle we're back on the bus for a sightseeing tour of the modern city and Piazza dell'Unità.
- Panoramic tour of Trieste
- Old Trieste: San Giusto Cathedral and Miramare Castle
- Modern Trieste and Piazza Unità d'Italia: sightseeing bus tour
- We'll set off for a sightseeing bus tour of the old town, the ancient heart of Trieste, where you'll see archaeological sites like the Roman Theater and the Arco di Riccardo, including the old Jewish ghetto built a stone's throw from the city center.
- Stop off at the San Giusto Cathedral for an unbeatable view of the Gulf and the city. Accompanied by our guide you'll see the Byzantine mosaics and 13th century frescoes housed inside it.
- Next stop: Miramare Castle. Visiting the interior you'll be amazed by the deliberately evocative furnishings that combine Mediterranean romanticism with a Nordic atmosphere, displaying the eclectic tastes of Archduke Maximilian of Austria.
- The sightseeing tour continues in the modern city. You'll see the Borgo Teresiano, commissioned by Maria Theresa of Austria, and the Grand Canal, a stretch of sea that extends to the Church of Sant'Antonio.
- Not far from here is the synagogue, one of the biggest in Europe, and the Serbian Orthodox church of Saint Spyridon, all domes and mosaics. A short walk along the seafront promenade you'll also find the Greek Orthodox Church of San Nicolò dei Greci.
- Before we head back, from the bus you'll also see Piazza Unità d'Italia: the biggest seaside square in Europe, looking out onto the Gulf of Trieste.
Good to know
- The excursion is available both for guests in transit and for guests disembarking at the port of Trieste.
- If Trieste is your disembarkation port, please contact the Excursions Office on board to check that the excursion times are compatible with your return transfer timings.
- The excursion includes a 15-minute walk from the bus park to the Miramare Castle.
- Wear suitable clothing for the places of worship you will be visiting.
- When there are religious festivals, the visit to the Cathedral will be limited to the outside.