PENANG TROPICAL MARVELS
In a nutshell An excursion dedicated to nature and the tropical marvels of Penang: from exquisite tropical fruit such as mangoes, papayas, and rambutans at Tropical Farm, to the amazing Entopia park with its fascinating colourful butterflies at the Butterfly Farm and all the other insect and reptile species typical of this area. An experience not to be missed by nature lovers!
Good to know
- Seaside resort of Teluk Bahang
- Tropical Fruit Farm: tropical and subtropical trees
- Taste of mango, mangosteen, papaya and rambutan
- Entopia park well-known as Penang Butterfly Farm: a research,study and breeding centre of butterflies and tropical insects
- We leave the port behind us by coach and reach the seaside resort of Teluk Bahang, once a fishing village and now a charming tourist destination by the sea.
- A few kilometres from Teluk Bahang, we make our first stop: the Tropical Fruit Farm covers 10 hectares of hilly terrain where we find over 140 species of tropical and subtropical fruit, both native and hybrid. Accompanied by our expert guide, we cross the plantation and get the chance to taste exotic fruits such as mangoes, mangosteens, papayas and rambutans and, if in season, we can even try a durian, known as the “king of tropical fruit”.
- Before heading towards the second stop on our tour, we appreciate the spectacular views over the Indian Ocean from the top of the hill 243 metres above sea level.
- But the fun is not over yet! After visiting the Tropical Fruit Farm, the fascinating Entopia park awaits us with its Penang Butterfly Farm boasting amazing manicured gardens, waterfalls, ponds and a rock tunnel. It is a proper research and study centre that also breeds butterflies and other tropical insects. The park is home to around 4000 butterflies of 60 different species, free to fly around the large indoor garden that provides them with a natural habitat and also home to many spider and reptile species. The park is divided into two sections: “Natureland” where butterflies, dragonflies and other insects are free to roam and “Cocoon” dedicated to activities and exhibitions illustrating e.g. the reproductive process of insects such as fireflies and beetles as well as to guided interactive presentations regarding the life cycle of these animals.
- After visiting the Entopia park, we return to the port and our ship.
Good to know
- This excursion involves walking for approximately 3 hours on uneven ground and slopes, it is therefore recommended to wear comfortable shoes.
- Some of the fruits at the Tropical Fruit Farm are seasonal