MARVELLOUS TVINDE WATERFALL AND THE SECRETS OF THE VIKING CIVILIZATION
Designed for families, Culture & local gems , Less than 1 hour walking, Family friendly
In a nutshell An unforgettable itinerary through the lush scenery of the Nærøy valley among waterfalls, enchanting views and thrilling roads to discover a unique place where nature shows itself in all its glory and a unique community evokes the origin of Viking culture.
- Unique Aurlandsfjord landscape
- Nærøy valley, from its river to the waterfall accompanying us along the way
- Oppheim lake and spectacular Tvinde waterfall
- Beautiful Nærøyfjord
- Viking village of Gudvangen
- We set off on our excursion by coach from Flåm, a lovely colourful town at the tip of Aurlandsfjord, one of the branches of the second largest fjord in the world - Sognefjord.
- Two long tunnels, the longest of which measures over 9 km, take us to the opposite side of the mountain where we drive through the ancient Viking village of Gudvangen and along Nærøy valley and its river famous for salmon fishing accompanied by the breathtaking views of the waterfalls on both sides of the road.
- Only a few km separate from the green shores of lake Oppheim, then we venture into the woods and fertile countryside taking us to the spectacular Tvinde waterfall where the water drops from a rocky wall approximately 110 metres high.
- We stop to photograph this marvel of nature and return to Gudvangen winding along the 13 hairpin bends of the steepest road in Norway dating back to 1849 - the famous Stalheimskleiva.
- Once in Gudvangen, we stop to discover this enchanting town on the shores of Nærøyfjord, the fjord dedicated to Njord, god of the sea and prosperity according to Norse mythology. It was declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 2005 due to its outstanding natural beauty.
- We head to the Viking community village displaying the habits and traditions of this centuries-old culture. A true journey into the past allowing the most fearless visitors to try their hand at axe throwing or archery and the most curious to chat with the locals.
- At the end of our excursion, we get back to our coach and to Flåm.