THE MAJESTIC HAGUE AND MAURITSHUIS MASTERPIECES
Sightseen, Culture & local gems, Less than 1 hour walking
In a nutshell The Hague is one of the Netherlands’ most fascinating cities: it is the seat of the country’s government although it is not its administrative capital and it is the residence of the Royal family. This magnificent city overlooking the North Sea boasts many monuments, historic buildings, international organisations and foreign embassies that contribute to creating a unique international atmosphere. The “moral capital” of the Netherlands is a treasure chest full of surprises and, among them, Mauritshuis never disappoints thanks to its marvellous collection of 17th and 18th century works of art.
Good to know
- The Hague
- Free time to relax and purchase some souvenirs
- Our excursion starts on the road linking the port of Ijmuiden to The Hague or “Den Haag” in Dutch.
- Despite being the seat of the national government, foreign embassies, many international organisations and the residence of the Royal family, The Hague is indeed not Holland’s administrative capital - a role that was formally handed over to Amsterdam in 1814 - yet it is the third largest city in the Netherlands.
- Once we have reached this amazing city overlooking the North Sea, we admire its main sights such as the imposing historic buildings, large squares, long boulevards and wealthy homes - The Hague is a wealth of surprises.
- We stop at the Mauritshuis, the 17th-century palace that was originally a hotel and residence for prominent guests and is now home to the museum dedicated to 17th and 18th-century masterpieces. The collection boasts around 800 works of art by various artists including the “Girl with a Pearl Earring” by Vermeer, “The Anatomy Lesson of Dr. Nicolaes Tulp” by Rembrandt and “The Garden of Eden with the Fall of Man” by Rubens. Paintings by Fabritius, Jan Steen and Frans Hals are also on display.
- After visiting this marvellous museum, we have some free time available to relax, purchase a few souvenirs or savour a bite to eat.
- Once our tour of The Hague and Mauritshuis is over and after enjoying our free time, the time has come to return to the ship.
Good to know
- We recommend that you book early because only a limited number of places are available.
- This excursion does not include a guide. A
local escort will provide general information in English.