MANMADE AND NATURAL ART: BATIK AND WONDERFUL BUTTERFLIES
Active & adventurous, Less than 1 hour walking
In a nutshell The centuries-old batik technique of dyeing fabric will no longer be a secret to us after an interesting workshop during which we make our own cotton scarf followed by a visit to a marvellous park where hundreds of colourful butterflies fly around us creating an enchanting and unforgettable scenario.
Good to know
- Batik dyeing workshop
- Korean wax printing technique
- Batik scarf-marking
- Entopia Butterfly Farm
- Wonderful colourful butterflies and other unique animals
- We leave the port behind us on a coach and reach the seaside resort of Teluk Bahang, once a fishing village and now a charming tourist destination by the sea.
- We take part in a batik dyeing workshop - the technique is a local craft speciality and is a “resist” process as it is based on the partial waterproofing of the surface to be dyed using materials such as wax to obtain spectacular motifs and shades of colour.
- We are immediately put to work to experiment our own creativity and create a 90x90 cotton scarf using the batik technique.
- Following the instructions given, we use the Korean printing technique as we apply a layer of wax onto the fabric according to a pre-established pattern. Our scarf is then immersed in the dye and, once dry, we apply a second wax decoration. Another dye bath follows and then the fabric is boiled to melt the wax.
- Voilà - we have made a magnificently decorated brightly-coloured scarf with our own hands which is then packaged and sent to our home address or delivered onto the ship depending on departure times.
- But the fun is not over yet! Our second destination is the fascinating Entopia Butterfly Farm, an aviary park featuring finely laid-out gardens, waterfalls, ponds and a rock tunnel where we can wander around to admire the colourful butterflies and other interesting animals including water dragons, carps, reptiles and giant scorpions.
- After our visit, we head back to the port having experienced something truly unforgettable.
Good to know
- The workshop is carried out in an open-air facility with no air conditioning or fans and it required standing up 1 hour.
- We recommend wearing light clothing and comfortable shoes.
- We recommend that you book early because only a limited number of places are available.