SCENIC COLOMBO: A FUN TUK TUK RIDE
A fascinating melting pot of diverse identities and a deep spirituality meets an imposing colonial heritage while old working-class districts go hand in hand with the most glamorously modern: Colombo, the capital of Sri Lanka, encompasses all of this and we get the chance to see it aboard a traditional tuk tuk.
- Sightseeing tour of Colombo by tuk tuk
- St. Lucia's Cathedral
- Jami-Ul-Alfar mosque (red mosque)
- Old Pettah district
- Independence Memorial Hall and Viharamahadevi Park
- Shopping for traditional handicrafts
- Scenic Seema Malaka Buddhist temple overlooking the lake
- We set off on our excursion aboard fun tuk tuks, picturesque three-wheeled taxis with open sides and a roof, a characteristic local means of transport that lets us explore the city as if we were locals.
- During the tour, which includes stops to observe the best the city has to offer, we get the chance to admire unmissable sights including St. Lucia’s Cathedral, reminiscent of St. Peter’s Basilica in Rome, and the Jami-Ul-Alfar mosque, the so-called 'red mosque' dating back to the early 20th century and truly spectacular thanks to its façades and minarets entirely covered in a red and white pattern.
- We venture into the old district of Pettah, a true open-air bazaar with shops and stalls of all kind alternating with large religious buildings.
- We stop for photos at the Independence Memorial Hall, an imposing monument built to commemorate the independence of Sri Lanka, and continue on our tour driving past Viharamahadevi Park, the largest green area in the city meticulously restored with paths, flowerbeds and play areas.
- We stop for a spot of shipping at the Laksala souvenir shop, owned by the state, where we can find a wide assortment of handicrafts arranged on multiple floors and organised according to categories - from jewellery, accessories and tea to clothing.
- We end our tour with a stop for photos in front of the Seema Malaka Buddhist temple overlooking lake Beira and surrounded by a row of golden Buddha statues.