ART AND TRADITION ON THE TOP OF THE WORLD: 'EAST OF THE SUN' ART GALLERY AND NORTH CAPE CHRISTMAS AND WINTER HOUSE
Sightseen, Designed for families, Culture & local gems , Less than 1 hour walking, Family friendly
A tour of the most northern region in the world, amidst fishing villages, colourful cottages and breathtaking landscapes, but also an excursion based on the Norwegian cultural and artistic tradition, with a visit to the Art Gallery 'East of the Sun' and to the 'North Cape Christmas and Winter House' for a full immersion in the unmistakeable Christmas atmosphere.
- Skips Fjord with hotel, cottage and camp site
- Photographic stop at the village of Kamøyvær on the island of Magerøya
- Art Gallery 'East of the Sun' of the artists Eva Schmutterer
- Village of Skarsvåg and North Cape Horn
- North Cape Christmas and Winter House
- Our coach tour begins with a trip through the town of Honningsvåg which contests the title of the northernmost town in the world with Hammerfest and then continues along the Skips Fjord, a splendid fjord sprinkled with colourful cottages, hotels and camp sites
- We continue to Kamøyvær, the tiniest fishing village on the island of Magerøya with barely 100 residents.
- The village lies in a sheltered position and consists of bungalows and cottages painted in pastel shades. It boasts a fish processing factory, a small fleet of fishing boats, a lighthouse and a tiny, picturesque harbour.
- Before we continue our tour, we’ll have a brief photographic stop.
- We’ll also stop for a cultural visit to the Gallery East of the Sun which exhibits works of art and craft, and brightly painted canvases by the artists Eva Schmutterer, who loves to guide people personally around her exhibition and workshop.
- Among the works on show are some exotic pictures made with fish bones, jewels made of stone and glass and tiny models of reindeer all handmade.
- Back on the main road, we continue northwards towards Skarsvåg-krysset, only to leave it once again to reach the tiny fishing village of Skarsvåg, about 14 km from North Cape.
- We’ll stop at the panoramic viewpoint from where we can see North Cape Horn, a rocky formation once used as a place of worship for Sami sacrifices.
- We’ll stop in Skarsvåg, to visit the North Cape Christmas and Winter House. We can immerse ourselves in the typical winter, Christmas atmosphere of northern Norway as the house is decorated with Christmas decorations. And that’s not all: you’ll be able to buy glasses, ceramics, postcards, photos and knitwear.