AN ACTIVE DAY IN NUUKSIO NATIONAL PARK: TREKS, CANOES OR FATBIKES
An adrenaline-filled excursion for the lovers of sports and open-air activities: we explore the setting of an unspoilt natural park, as you have to choose one of three different experiences (trek, canoeing or fat-bike) and relax on a coach as we enjoy a pleasant sightseeing tour of Helsinki.
What we will see
- Nuuksio national park
- Haukkalampi lake
- Trekking itinerary- Canoe excursion - Fatbike excursion
- Sightseeing tour of Helsinki
- Mannerheimintie and Finlandia Hall
- Lutheran cathedral
- Uspenski Orthodox cathedral and Kauppatori
What we will do
- We get on a coach and leave the capital of Finland behind us headed towards the picturesque Nuuksio national park, where we are surrounded by unspoilt nature and can admire the most beautiful Finnish landscapes characterised by lakes, woods and cliffs formed during the Ice Age.
- We stop at lake Haukkalampi, located at the centre of the park and an excellent starting point for our activity.
- We start with the preliminary chosen activity:
- 1) a trek surrounded by nature and the peaceful woods appease both our minds and souls
- 2) a canoe ride along the rugged banks of the lake. Halfway during our ride, we stop to climb a hill offering enchanting views and then get back on our canoes to go back to the starting point
- 3) a thrilling fat-bike ride awaits us. Fat-bikes are a direct evolution of mountain bikes and are equipped with large wheels perfect to tackle uneven ground. We tour the park heights as we explore nature.
- After the exciting activity, we have some free time available inside the park to enjoy this natural marvel as we please or to take advantage of this break to sip a hot beverage at the Café.
- We make our way back and enjoy a sightseeing tour of Helsinki, capital and largest city in Finland.
- We drive along Mannerheimintie, one of the main roads, and admire the Parliament building, setting of many crucial events of the country’s political life, and the National museum.
- The modern Finlandia Hall - an important congress centre designed by the famous Finnish architect Alvar Aalto - appears before our eyes together with the new opera palace.
- We cross the Senate Square overlooked by the superb Lutheran cathedral, an imposing Neoclassical cathedral completely finished in white marble.
- We also admire the Orthodox cathedral of Uspenski with its gilded domes and characteristic brick structure. As we head back to the port, we admire the colourful Kauppatori or Market square, overlooking Helsinki port with its myriad of stalls selling typical products.
What you need to know