MARVELS OF THE SOUTHERN COAST AND LUNCH AT THE LAVA CENTRE
Panorama, Nature, Meal included
A trip among the spectacular Icelandic landscape to admire the most beautiful spectacles of nature: waterfalls dropping from rocky cliffs, steep mountains and glaciers, an amazing black beach and fearsome volcanoes. We end our excursion with a lunch at a unique location offering views over three active volcanoes.
What we will see
- Sightseeing tour of the southern coast
- Hellisheidi lava plateau
- Hveragerdi, Thjorsa and Ranga rivers
- Seljalandsfoss waterfall
- Skógafoss waterfall
- Reynisfjara black beach
- LAVA - Iceland Volcano and Earthquake Centre
- Light lunch and views over spectacular volcanoes
What we will do
- While comfortably seated on our coach, we go on a sightseeing tour of the southern Atlantic coast characterised by a series of steep mountains, spectacular glaciers, gurgling rivers and waterfalls and amazing rural landscape where nature reigns supreme.
- We drive along the Hellisheidi lava plateau, location of the third largest geothermal energy station in the world, and descend towards the most fertile cultivated territory in the country.
- We pass by the town of Hveragerdi, which lies on top of an ancient magma chamber and cross the Thjorsa and Ranga rivers (the former is the longest in the country), where fishermen spend entire days catching the salmon swimming in the crystal-clear waters.
- We stop at the Seljalandsfoss waterfall which we can admire from multiple sides thanks to the path reaching the top and passing behind the waterfall.
- We continue as far as the magnificent Skógafoss waterfall, surrounded by lush greenery and often crowned by a single or double rainbow that adds to its charm.
- We reach the black beach of Reynisfjara: its dark-coloured pebbles, volcanic sand and tall basalt columns are the perfect source of inspiration for all nature and photography lovers. Two stone stacks drop majestically into the sea and are a preferred nesting destination for many bird species.
- On our way back to Reykjavík, we stop over at the LAVA - Iceland Volcano and Earthquake Centre, a state-of-the-art facility with a high-tech interactive exhibition illustrating the birth and development of one of the largest volcanic islands in the world.
- At this futuristic museum, we enjoy a light lunch and take in a 360° view of the Eyjafjallajökull, Katla and Hekla volcanoes as well as on the beautiful Westman islands from the observation platform.
What you need to know
- We recommend that you book early because only a limited number of places are available.