ITALY'S HIDDEN TREASURES - MONTALBANO ELICONA
A pleasant walk around a hidden gem, the village of Montalbano Elicona, considered one of the most beautiful villages in Italy. An unmissable trip for anyone wanting to see the different, artistic and cultural side of Sicily.
- Montalbano Elicona
- Medieval centre
- Swabian-Aragonese castle
- We will leave the port of Messina and head towards the village of Montalbano Elicona, which will help us to relive the splendour of the past thanks to its Medieval architecture.
- We will reach our destination by crossing the picturesque surrounding woods, which conceal a truly mysterious treasure, a series of megaliths whose size and shape could make them prehistoric astronomical symbols.
- Nestled on the slopes of a peak that rises up 907 metres above sea level, Montalbano Elicona is a maze of narrow streets, where time seems to have stood still.
- We will admire the wonderful Swabian-Aragonese castle, which dominates the centre due to its size. Built in the 12th century at the request of King Frederick II, it is in excellent condition today after extensive restoration work to make it usable in all weather conditions.
- A visit to the Duomo is a must, as it is the biggest church in the village dating back to between the 9th and 10th centuries AD. It is a very important building housing fascinating works of art.
- After our visit, we will return to the ship, spiritually richer than we were when we set off.
Good to know
- In order to guarantee the health of our guests, in compliance with the regulations and the respect of the safety protocol, the itineraries and the duration of the excursions may be subject to changes, even if not substantial.
- Places on this excursion are limited. We recommend booking early.
- This tour is not recommended for guests with mobility problems.?